What is SEPTA?
Monroe-Woodbury SEPTA (Special Education PTA) is an organization that strives to bring together parents, teachers and administrators in an effort to inform, support and advocate for the unique and special needs of our students.
How do we achieve this?
- Share information regarding special education policies and laws, community resources and supplemental services
- Offer workshops and training regarding various high interest topics such as determining eligibility for services, early intervention, legislative issues, and high school graduation requirements
- Provide up-to-date district information relating to special education services and programming
- Provide statewide legislative information as it relates to special education
Provide opportunities for parents and teachers to share experiences and resources.
SEPTA is your place for the sharing of special needs resources and ideas. We believe that there are many great resources and ideas out there that really need to be shared so that they can be used for children with special needs.
We believe that Special Education will be lifted greatly if we all have a desire to share and build these resources for all to use.
- Provide Student Scholarships
- Provide Teacher Mini-Grants
- Support district budget and funding items related to special education
- Support legislation as it relates to special education
Introduce parents of students in Monroe-Woodbury to the special education process. Providing an overview of special education services, the rights of students with disabilities and your rights as the parent of a child with a disability.
- Provide information and resources with regard to special education law
- Collaborate with other community organizations
- Assist parents in navigating the various processes of special education
How can you get involved?
Become a member by sending your PTA Membership Form to MW SEPTA at Pine Tree Elementary.
Attend our monthly meetings:
2016-2017 MW-SEPTA Meeting Schedule
Thursday, October 6, 2016 – 7:00 pm
Speaker: Dr. Paul Coleman, author of “Finding Peace When Your Hear is in Pieces”
Topic: Navigating through life when your child receives an unexpected diagnosis.
Monday, November 14, 2016 – 7:00 pm
Central Valley Elementary
Speaker: Janet Eckerson, Orange County Mental Health Association
Topic: Discussion of the various support groups and programs for children that are available to the community.
Tuesday, January 10, 2017 – 7:00 pm
Speaker: Just 2 Moms
Topic: A discussion with two moms about their journey in raising their two Autistic sons.
Thursday, February 9, 2017 – 7:00 pm
North Main Elementary
Speaker: Patricia McConnell, Ability Builders
Topic: The importance of social groups for children and the various groups and services they provide.
Tuesday, March 7, 2017 – 7:00 pm
Smith Clove Elementary
Speaker: Love & Logic in the Classroom
Topic: A discussion with our very own M-W teachers on this new approach for maintaining an effective classroom
Wednesday, April 19, 2017 – 7:00 pm
Pine Tree Elementary
SEPTA Community Event
Check out local vendors that provide services and activities for special needs children.
Thursday, May 4, 2017
Teacher Appreciation Dinner
Join us as we celebrate the wonderful MW faculty and staff who do so much for our children.