STAR Tax Exemption
New York State homeowners can reduce their school taxes through the statewide school tax relief program, STAR. Basic STAR is available to anyone who owns and lives in his or her own home and does not exceed the $500,000 income level.
Enhanced STAR is available to senior homeowners whose incomes do not exceed the statewide standard. Call your town assessor to apply if you are not already enrolled.
- Blooming Grove – (845) 496-5223 ext 5
- Chester – (845) 469-7000 #6
- Monroe – (845) 782-4459
- Tuxedo – (845) 351-5602 or (845) 351-5657
- Woodbury – (845) 928-2439 (#224)
*Star savings will be capped at 2% of the prior year savings. Therefore, taxpayer savings resulting from the Basic or Enhanced STAR exemptions were limited to a 2% increase over the prior year.
PLEASE NOTE THE RECENT CHANGES TO THE STAR PROGRAM
- As a result of recent law changes, some homeowners will receive a STAR check directly from New York State instead of receiving a school property tax exemption. The amount of your benefit will be the same regardless of how you receive it.
- Beginning with the 2016-2017 school year, new STAR applicants will need to register with the Tax Department to receive a STAR check.
Current STAR exemption recipients
- Current Basic and Enhanced STAR exemption recipients will keep their exemption as long as they continue to own their current home.
- Current Enhanced STAR exemption recipients who are not enrolled in the Income Verification Program must continue to file a renewal application with their local assessor each year.
The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance has developed a web based registration application, and phone registration for the STAR Check program. To register or to ask questions please contact NY State at (518)457-2036 or online at www.tax.ny.gov/star/.